Made this for dinner tonight (blurry, oversaturated pic courtesy my iPhone). Tasty, but feel free to adjust the garlic and red pepper flakes as you see fit. We like us some garlics.
- 2-3 mild or hot Italian sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1-2 tsp hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 med zucchini, chopped into rough chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped into rough chunks
- 1 med red onion, chopped into rough chunks
- 1-2 tsp fresh oregano (or 1/2-1 tsp dried)
- 1 large tin diced tomatoes (796ml, 28oz)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Penne or other chunky pasta
- Fresh shredded parmesan to serve
- Fry the sausages in a saute pan over med heat. When done, slice and throw the slices back in to the pan to brown up a bit more. The trick here is to get all sorts of nice brown bits all over the sausages because that makes ‘em yummy.
- Leave the sausage rounds in the pan and add the olive oil. Then toss in the minced garlic, shallot, and red pepper flakes. Saute that all together for a couple of minutes.
- Throw in the zucchini, pepper, and onion. Saute those for a couple of minutes, then add the oregano and a few gratings of fresh pepper. Stir a few times, then add the diced tomatoes with all the juices and stuff.
- Bring up to simmer, and let that go for 10-15 mins…the idea is to let the tomatoes cook down and become more of a sauce. This is a matter of taste, really, so you can cook it for as long as you like, just don’t totally overcook the veggies.
- While the sauce simmers, bring a big pot of water up to boil and cook your pasta when the sauce is almost done.
- Serve in big ol’ pasta bowls with lots of parmesan cheese and fresh pepper.
I think that’s it. I just kinda make these up as I go, so feel free to riff on this. Sometimes I’ll add a tin of white kidney beans, or other veggies, etc.