I love oatmeal cookies. I also love steel-cut oats. This recipe, cribbed from Eat Feed Autumn Winter is all of that and more. I’ve slightly modified the recipe, and these are currently my favourite cookies ever.
- 1 1/2 c rolled oats
- 1/3 c steel-cut oats
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c granulated sugar
- 1/4 c packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c soft butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 c dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/3 c chopped walnuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Mix dry ingredients together (everything up to and including salt).
- Cream butter and sugars together for a few minutes.
- Mix egg and vanilla into butter + sugar. Make sure they’re well blended…should be uniform and sort of fluffy and light.
- Stir in oat mixture until blended.
- Mix in cranberries and walnuts.
Drop in 2″ balls on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, and flatten slightly. Leave some space between because they will spread out a bit. Bake for 5 mins, then turn the pans, then bake for another 6-7 mins (until golden brown). This made 20 cookies.
Cool on the pan for 2-3 mins, then on a cooling rack. Eat ‘um.