20 top add-ons that are ready for Firefox 3

add-ons, Firefox, Mozilla, Software, Work 83 Comments

Being involved with Firefox development and testing is both an honour and a privilege. The one major drawback to being on the bleeding edge of the Mozillaverse, however, is that none of your add-ons ever work. Sure, I’ve had the absolute joy of using the Smart Location Bar (aka: Awesomebar) for ages, but I’ve also been living without any of my add-ons for months. It’s been hard. Very, very hard.

Naturally, when faced with the choice between using the new Firefox 3 features with no add-ons and reverting to Firefox 2 and getting all my add-ons back, I stuck with Firefox 3. I’m not kidding when I say that Firefox 3 is better than Firefox 2 in pretty much every possible way. It’s awesome and there’s no way I’m going back. Now, however, I don’t have to choose one over the other — with the recent delivery of Firefox 3 Release Candidate 1, I get to have my cake and eat it too.

Release Candidate 1, you see, coincides with the addons.mozilla.org (AMO) site adding support for the final add-ons MaxVersion update. This means that all Firefox add-ons can now finally be updated such that they will work with the final release of Firefox 3. Lots of add-on developers have been waiting for this, so a huge number of add-ons are now getting updated. I spent yesterday going through the list and playing with some of my favourites, and it’s like Christmas has come seven months early.

I know a lot of folks are waiting for add-ons to get updated before diving in to help test the Firefox 3 release candidate, but now’s your chance. Dozens of add-ons are being updated to work with Firefox 3 every day, and there are hundreds already set to go. Here’s a list of 20 I’ve installed and checked out (arranged conveniently in alphabetical order):

Adblock Plus – This one does pretty much what it says on the box: Adblock blocks ads, and does so with grace and aplomb. This is one of the universals that pretty much every Firefox user I know has installed, and is one of the hardest to live without. Also updated for Firefox 3 is the Adblock Filterset.G Updater add-on companion for Adblock.

adblockplus

Download Statusbar – While the Firefox 3 download manager has been revamped, some folks have slightly more hardcore download requirements, which is where Download Statusbar comes in. Freshly updated for Firefox 3, this is one of the more popular Firefox add-ons out there.

downloadstatusbar

Faviconize Tab – This is the one add-on I really have a hard time living without, and I’m unbelievably happy it’s finally updated for Firefox 3. I danced a dance of joy when I was finally able to stop overriding my add-ons compatibility check (which is generally a terrible idea) and could actually install Faviconize Tab for real. Such a simple thing, but such an incredibly useful thing. I love this add-on.

faviconizetab

Firefox Companion for Ebay – I’m still a little afraid of Ebay (impulse shopping habits + credit card + 24hr access to a world of awesome things to buy = fear), but I do use the Companion to watch some of the more interesting auctions I run across.

ebay2

Flashblock – One of the more infuriating things about trying to read on the Web are the flippy flashy animated doodads that hover around the margins making it impossible to focus. This is pretty much what Flashblock is created to fix, blocking the animated fiddlybits until you click a button on each to display it. This is a vital sanity saver for me, and I’m really glad it’s updated now.

flashblock

FlashGot – If you do a lot of downloading, FlashGot is a must-have Firefox add-on. This being updated for Firefox 3 is going to save me a ton of time and mouseclicks.

flashgot

Forecastfox – Being Canadian and currently on the edge of summer, I’m a little obsessed with the weather these days. When it’s not raining, or cold, or too windy to stand up, or dark, it’s actually gorgeous out, and keeping close track of when that sun is going to shine is a vital part of day-to-day life in May. Forecastfox being ready for Firefox 3 means I don’t have to obsessive-compulsively reload the Environment Canada website any more.

forecastfox

GooglePreview – This is actually a “new to me” add-on that I discovered yesterday, but it’s really great. Again, it’s simple and unobtrusive, just quietly enhancing your Web experience without getting in your way. What it does is add a small preview thumbnail to your Google search results. It’s just neat.

googlepreview

Live HTTP Headers – This one’s for the Web Developers in the audience, as it lets you view the running stream of HTTP headers of the pages you browse. Very useful, and ready for Firefox 3.

livehttpheaders2

Mouse Gestures – This is another “new to me” add-on that I was playing with yesterday that may change how I use the Web. I never really thought much about mouse gestures until I started using them, and it turns out they’re actually pretty awesome. I’ll definitely be messing around with this one for a while to see if the novelty wears off, or whether it’ll be a long-term sort of add-on for me.

mousegestures

NoScript – NoScript is a hugely popular security-related add-on that gives Firefox users very fine-grained control over what JavaScript, Java, and executable content is allowed to run in the browser.

noscript

ScribeFire – Formerly known as “Performancing”, ScribeFire is a very cool and full-featured blog editor that integrates with Firefox. Now that it’s ready for Firefox 3 I’m going to start using it again — it makes sense to have a blog editor integrated with a browser, in my opinion, because blogging is so absolutely tied to the Web. ScribeFire has come a long way since its original launch, so if you haven’t checked it out lately, you should take it for a spin.

scribefire

Shareaholic – If you’re like me and spend a whole lot of time looking at things on the Web, you end up finding piles of things that you want to share with other folks. Shareaholic is a fantastic add-on for this, integrating with digg, del.icio.us, facebook, foxiewire, friendfeed, google bookmarks, google reader, magnolia, reddit, stumbleupon, tumbler, twitter, and more. Jay Meattle, the developer who also happened to win the Extend Firefox 2 contest with this add-on, has recently updated it to work with Firefox 3. And there has been much rejoicing.

shareaholic

Speed Dial – The Speed Dial feature was originally debuted by the Opera web browser, but several add-ons mimicking the functionality very quickly came available for Firefox. I like Speed Dial in particular because it’s very straightforward, super easy to customize, and is now completely up to date for Firefox 3.

speeddial

StumbleUpon – I didn’t actually start using this add-on until my Dad told me about it one day, and now I’m a bit of an addict. Be wary, however — StumbleUpon is a bit dangerous in that it can eat days of your life if you’re not careful. I’m just glad the toolbar can be toggled on and off, else I’d never get anything done. Fun stuff, extraordinarily popular, very slick.

stumbleupon

ThumbStrips – ThumbStrips creates a browseable graphical timeline of your surfing history that is displayed along the bottom of the browser. Originally I figured it would be like another, fancier version of tabs but it’s not that at all — it makes flipping back and forth through your recent browser history really easy, which can be great in situations when you’re checking out Google search results and so forth. Neat stuff.

thumbstrips

TwitterFox – Being slightly unnerved by social networking in general (FaceBook, LinkedIn, etc.) I generally don’t spend much time on such sites, but I’ve made an exception for Twitter. Twitter is simple and fun. It’s also useful, believe it or not, and (if you keep your “Following” list pared down sensibly) it can be super interesting and informative. TwitterFox is a neat little add-on that integrates Twitter right into Firefox that works well and generally does what you expect it to do.

twitterfox

Video DownloadHelper – If you’re interested in saving Web videos to your local machine — for example, to watch while on a plane or otherwise offline — Video DownloadHelper is a great add-on to use. Sites it works with include YouTube, MySpace, Google videos, DailyMotion, iFilm, and others.

videodownloadhelper

Web Developer Toolbar – Chris Pederick’s Web Developer Toolbar is one of the absolute must-have Firefox add-ons if you’re a Web Developer. It’s been around for years and puts a world of useful utilities at your fingertips, saving time, effort, and frustration.

webdevtoolbar

Wizz RSS Reader – If you’re a bit of a Webfeed junkie and LiveBookmarks aren’t enough, you’ll probably want to check out the Wizz RSS news reader add-on. By way of the sidebar, Wizz lets you subscribe to Webfeeds and quickly flip through new posts or updates to those sites. Wizz is, in my opinion, a great middle ground between LiveBookmarks and a full-featured desktop Webfeed client like Vienna.

wizzrss

So, there you have it — 20 top notch add-ons that are ready to go for Firefox 3. If you’re curious about Firefox 3 and would like to check out the Release Candidate and play with some of these, Friday afternoon seems like a perfectly reasonable time to do it.

Alex Polvi is doing a weekly update about the “State of the Add-ons” that need help getting updated for Firefox 3. If you’re an add-on developer (or would like to be one!) and would like to help, head over to Polvi’s blog and he’ll point you in the right direction.

83 Responses to “20 top add-ons that are ready for Firefox 3”

1. Philip Chee Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 11:07 am

Actually Flashblock 1.5.unstable has been tracking trunk for ages. The reason I didn’t push it to AMO is that every new 3.0alpha or 3.0beta seems to break flashblock. Now that RC1 is out I felt that it was safe enough to freeze the unstable/development version and call it 1.5.6. But you could have lived on the bleeding edge of Flashblock development if you had installed the 1.5.unstable releases from mozdev instead.

2. Philip Chee Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 11:07 am

3. Ray Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 12:56 pm

I use Minefield (Firefox 3pre) for among other reasons to test my favorite extensions for whether or not they will work in Minefield. Some of the developers work tirelessly to keep their extensions functionally compatible. It also helps developers like Philip who have betas of their extensions by at the very least identifying the specific patch(es) (regression range testing) that break their extensions. I’m sure they appreciate being able to more easily identify the issue and fix their extension quickly.

4. Ray Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 12:56 pm

5. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Still no TabMixPlus … ? Sigh.

6. George Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 2:38 pm

What I’ve found is that there’re almost no themes ready for FF3…

7. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I disabled and uninstalled MinimizeToTray based on the info here, so that is no longer an impediment.

Still hoping for the RedShift theme in a V3 form

8. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Still no TabMixPlus … ? Sigh.

9. George Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 2:38 pm

What I’ve found is that there’re almost no themes ready for FF3…

10. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Still hoping for the RedShift theme in a V3 form

11. Peng’s links for Friday 23 May 2008 « I’m Just an Avatar Says:
    May 23rd, 2008 at 4:10 pm

[...] Richardson: 20 top add-ons that are ready for Firefox 3. One of the biggest problems with using testing versions, including Release Candidates, of programs [...]

12. G Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 10:06 am

TabMixPlus: that would’ve been the dealbreaker for me, can’t live without it. But look: http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7031

13. G Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 10:06 am

14. nerdd.net | news and opinion Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 11:26 am

Top 20 Add-ons that already work with Firefox 3! | nerdd.net…

\r\nFirefox 3 Release Candidate is out, and hundreds of popular Firefox Add-Ons have been updated to…

15. nerdd.net | news and opinion Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 11:26 am

Top 20 Add-ons that already work with Firefox 3! | nerdd.net…

rnFirefox 3 Release Candidate is out, and hundreds of popular Firefox Add-Ons have been updated to…

16. Bruce A Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 12:36 pm

So how do we disable the “Smart Location Bar” and go back to how FF2 works? It’s clever, but it’s not what I want. Between that and overwriting the frontmost tab when opening a group of tabs I’m finding it difficult to use FF3.

17. Bruce A Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 12:36 pm

18. foxiewire.com Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 2:47 pm

20 top add-ons that are ready for Firefox 3…

To move to Firefox 3 and miss some add-ons or to stay with 2.x and have them all work. Lots of people have been faced with that choice, but now that Release Candidate 1 is out and addons.mozilla.org (AMO) site adding support for the final add-ons MaxVe…

19. foxiewire.com Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 2:47 pm

20 top add-ons that are ready for Firefox 3…

20. Francesco Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 5:32 pm

20 top add-ons that are ready for Firefox 3, one of the biggest problems with using testing versions, including Release Candidates. Some of the developers work tirelessly to keep their extensions functionally compatible.

21. Francesco Says:
    May 24th, 2008 at 5:32 pm

22. Will Says:
    May 25th, 2008 at 4:49 am

Mouse gestures doesnt work in 3.

I LIVE for mouse gestures btw, it’s the single most useful add-on in my opinion. Make sure you’re using the wheel rocker actions to scroll through tabs. Gold.

23. Will Says:
    May 25th, 2008 at 4:49 am

Mouse gestures doesnt work in 3.

24. More Firefox 3 Add-ons » Solo Technology Says:
    May 25th, 2008 at 10:07 am

[...] looking for more Firefox add-ons that were native and working with Firefox 3. I just found the post 20 top add-ons that are ready for Firefox 3. which has been quite [...]

25. Dew Drop - May 25, 2008 | Alvin Ashcraft's Morning Dew Says:
    May 25th, 2008 at 11:38 am

[...] 20 Top Add-Ons That Are Ready For Firefox 3 (Deb Richardson) [...]

26. ~robcee/ » Add-ons I can’t roll without Says:
    May 26th, 2008 at 8:23 am

[...] posted an excellent run-down the other day about 20 excellent add-ons ready for Firefox 3. I thought I’d do a quick [...]

27. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    May 26th, 2008 at 11:25 am

The add-ons that need to be there for me to go to FF3: http://pc.akajohndoe.com/browsers.htm

28. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    May 26th, 2008 at 11:25 am

29. Wes P Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 8:23 am

Mouse gestures… After using Opera for my default browser for a while, I can say with some good certainty, that the novelty of mouse gestures might wear off, but only in the same manner which the novelty of having a GPS in your car would wear off. It will never cease to be there, you will continue to use it, and it will continue to be useful.

$0.02

30. Wouter Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 8:44 am

Hi, thanks for all the add-ons! I think you might have left out Piclens, which is an awesome image viewer when surfing for images.

31. Wes P Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 8:23 am

$0.02

32. Wouter Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 8:44 am

33. Eric Wendelin Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 11:15 am

You so did not just forget Firebug! Go try out 1.2 beta!

34. Eric Wendelin Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 11:15 am

You so did not just forget Firebug! Go try out 1.2 beta!

35. Jay Meattle Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Dria, awesome post. thanks for using Shareaholic! :)

36. Jay Meattle Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 2:13 pm

errr… and by Dria I meant Deb! :)

37. Jay Meattle Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Dria, awesome post. thanks for using Shareaholic! :)

38. Jay Meattle Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 2:13 pm

errr… and by Dria I meant Deb! :)

39. Firefox 3 Release Candidate 1 Now Available - Page 2 - Tactical Gamer Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 9:30 pm

[...] Firefox 3 Release Candidate 1 Now Available New articles: 20 top add-ons that are ready for Firefox 3 And here a few majors ones that are not ready yet: [...]

40. Firefox 3 Add-on Compatibility Report [Firefox 3] · TechBlogger Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 10:22 pm

[...] update on which popular Firefox extensions still need to get updated for Firefox 3. Here’s 20 add-ons that are Firefox 3-compatible, and seven that aren’t yet. If you’re testing the Firefox 3 Release Candidate, you can [...]

41. ccalgreen Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 10:53 pm

My heart almost stopped when I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 and realized not all my add-ons had been converted for Firefox 3, which is the default browser with the distro. Luckily, by far and away the most useful extension is for my del.icio.us bookmarks. The del.icio.us sidebar is actually *more* useful than the website itself, since it allows you to sort your tabs and bookmarks by alphabet. I’m totally keyed in to having an online bookmark account (I’m regularly at 4 different computers, and it’s a lifesaver if I need to hop on someone else’s machine and get to a critical site), but I don’t care about the sharing aspect, and haven’t found a decent site to top del.icio.us, despite its shortcomings.

42. ccalgreen Says:
    May 27th, 2008 at 10:53 pm

43. Sascha Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 12:40 am

20 top addons, definetly not the top 20 though!! It’s not that hard to see what’s compatible these days, AMO only shows the “Add to Firefox” button for those that support your browser version.

Of the top 20 most popular firefox addons can be found at AMO only 6 don’t make the FF 3.0 cut. And I see at least two I know I use regularly that you’ve missed off the list :)

Top 20 Addons: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1/cat:all?sort=popular

#3: FlashGot – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220
    #11: PDF Download – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636

(For some reason PicLens doesn’t list it’s compatible, but if you’ve got it installed from an earlier version you can update and use it tho)

44. Sascha Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 12:40 am

Top 20 Addons: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse…

#3: FlashGot – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220
    #11: PDF Download – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636

45. Extension compatibility status for Firefox 3 « AB’s reflections Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 2:27 am

[...] like the folks at lifehacker have already found a couple of sites that do the same: Here’s 20 add-ons that are Firefox 3-compatible, and seven that aren’t [...]

46. robinbirdsong Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 2:34 am

I’m not switching until CoolIris gets updated to FF3 capability! That at Tabbrowser are the 2 I will not live without! Sigh!

47. Wladimir Palant Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 2:43 am

Actually, Filterset.G is not recommended for use with Adblock Plus – http://adblockplus.org/en/faq_project#filterset.g

48. David Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 2:58 am

Foxmarks has a 3-compatible beta that works well.

49. robinbirdsong Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 2:34 am

50. Wladimir Palant Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 2:43 am

51. meneame.net Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 3:44 am

Top 20 de extensiones para Firefox 3…

Pues eso, un top 20 de extensiones para Firefox 3 totalmente funcionales. Sin embargo, hay siete conocidas que aún no lo son: alex.polvi.net/2008/05/22/state-of-the-add-ons-report-may-22nd/…

52. David Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 2:58 am

Foxmarks has a 3-compatible beta that works well.

53. Steve Clarke Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 4:06 am

@Will: FireGestures works damn nicely IMO.

54. meneame.net Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 3:44 am

Top 20 de extensiones para Firefox 3…

55. Steve Clarke Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 4:06 am

@Will: FireGestures works damn nicely IMO.

56. Sean Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 9:37 am

The FeedHub Feedback extension works in FF 3 :)

57. Sean Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 9:37 am

The FeedHub Feedback extension works in FF 3 :)

58. mete Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 11:12 am

tab mix plus is a must for me to upgrade

59. mete Says:
    May 28th, 2008 at 11:12 am

tab mix plus is a must for me to upgrade

60. Nick B. Says:
    May 29th, 2008 at 7:26 am

Found your site via LifeHacker.

Thanks for recommending these add-ons. There is so much choice when it comes to FF add-ons that it can be a time consuming process just going through the install-test-delete cycle.

The only problem I’ve had has been with RC1 and web developer toolbar. For some reason FF would randomly fail to load up CSS and images for sites. I’ve temporarily disabled WD toolbar and the problem has gone away.

61. Nick B. Says:
    May 29th, 2008 at 7:26 am

Found your site via LifeHacker.

62. Veronica Says:
    May 29th, 2008 at 9:18 am

The most important for all developers is firebug …..is elementary …. you miss it up on the list…….
    until the version for ff3 is not set up, some of us won’t install it.

63. Veronica Says:
    May 29th, 2008 at 9:18 am

until the version for ff3 is not set up, some of us won’t install it.

64. Schop Says:
    May 30th, 2008 at 11:31 pm

You should really consider adding ‘showcase’to the list…it’s awesome, and works with FF3.

65. Schop Says:
    May 30th, 2008 at 11:31 pm

66. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 4th, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Still no TabMixPlus nor FireFTP. And the RedShift theme is not yet ready. However, FireFox V3RC2 is out!

67. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 4th, 2008 at 3:24 pm

68. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 4th, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Since RedShift is not yet ready, I am using the “In The Dark” theme with Firefox V3. The “PitchDark” theme is also V3-ready and is another choice.

69. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 4th, 2008 at 8:35 pm

70. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 12:06 pm

The DownLoadStatusBar add-on is not working under Firefox V3 RC2, although it does install

71. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I went back to Firefox V2.

I found that I could not download naything in FF3, something about my Security Zone Settings blocking it.

It works fine in Firefox V2, though.

72. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 12:47 pm

I am back on Firefox V3 after researching and finding “the solution”. I say “the solution” because I do not like it. “The solution” is to go into Internet Explorer (IE) and under the tools/security/zones, modify the settings. It really sucks that Firefox deferred to Vista/IE for this.

73. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 12:06 pm

74. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 1:20 pm

I uninstalled the FireFTP add-on and installed the stand-alone FileZilla FTP client.

I only need the TabMizPlus add-on now!

75. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I went back to Firefox V2.

It works fine in Firefox V2, though.

76. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 12:47 pm

77. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 1:20 pm

I only need the TabMizPlus add-on now!

78. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 3:02 pm

OK, Last post today unless something happens. I promise.

I downloaded and installed a DEV build of the TabMixPlus add-on. It seems to work.

So, I uninstalled Firefox 2.0.0.14 and am completely on Firefox 3.0 RC2 now.

79. AKAJohnDoe Says:
    June 5th, 2008 at 3:02 pm

OK, Last post today unless something happens. I promise.

So, I uninstalled Firefox 2.0.0.14 and am completely on Firefox 3.0 RC2 now.

80. softcarlos Says:
    June 11th, 2008 at 10:02 am

por favor que no se olviden de firebug para nosotros los desarrolladores web es muy muy util e importante!!!

81. softcarlos Says:
    June 11th, 2008 at 10:02 am

82. CreditCardAustralia Says:
    September 5th, 2008 at 3:32 am

thanks for recommending the Firefox add-ons it can helps me a lot..it has so many purpose… thanks and cest regards.

83. CreditCardAustralia Says:
    September 5th, 2008 at 3:34 am

thanks for recommending firefox add-ons, it helps me a lot and it has so many purpose.
    Thanks and best regards.