Newsletter news: the name, the schedule, and how to sign up!

Evangelism, Mozilla, Work 20 Comments

about:mozilla

As I’ve previously discussed on this blog, the Mozilla Evangelism team is starting an experimental newsletter targeted at our contributor community. A “contributor” is anyone, anywhere, that is interested in and helps with any Mozilla project — we’ll be talking about Firefox development, Thunderbird work, new releases from all kinds of projects, Bug Days, meetings (oh the meetings), schedules, Spread Firefox events, conferences, Developer Days, and so much more.

The Name

The name we’ve decided to use for the newsletter is “about:mozilla”. This deceptively simple name was suggested by none other than our very own Graydon Hoare.

The Service

We have also confirmed that we’ll be using MailChimp as our initial newsletter signup, management, and delivery service. MailChimp has a set of domains involved with their service, including: campaign-archive.com and list-manage.com. I’m mentioning this only so everyone’s aware that not everything related to MailChimp is located at mailchimp.com.

The Schedule

The first issue of about:mozilla will be published November 26, 2007. Yes, folks, that’s next Monday! Less than a week away!

We’re planning to publish the newsletter every Monday morning (Eastern time, hopefully, Pacific time at the very least). This should give readers enough time to check out the calendar for the week before missing any of the meetings and events.

How to submit news

If you have something — a meeting, event, announcement, release, note, or anything else — that you think should be mentioned in the about:mozilla newsletter, please send it to mozilla-news-submissions@mozilla.org. If you have questions or comments for the editor (right now that’s me), the email address is news-editor@mozilla.org.

We welcome submissions from any contributors from any part of the Mozilla community, but we cannot promise that we will publish every submission we receive. Submissions should be succinct (200 words or less), of general interest to our community-at-large, and should include at least one link to more information or details.

Submission deadline: I’m setting a submission deadline of Thursday 2pm Pacific time for items to be included in the next Monday’s newsletter. Anything submitted after that will be saved and considered for the next issue.

The about:mozilla list has been created at MailChimp, and there’s a double opt-in sign up form available here: about:mozilla sign up!.

This is a temporary location for that sign up form, as we will eventually find a home for it somewhere on mozilla.com. If you have any problems signing up please send a note to me at deb@mozilla.com. This is the first time I’ve tested this particular part of the system, so feedback and bug reports are very much appreciated!

Thanks!

20 Responses to “Newsletter news: the name, the schedule, and how to sign up!”

1. Cédric Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Hi,
    Though I think this initiative is a good thing, I can’t figure out any good reason why you want to use MailChimp to send out a simple newsletter!! So please, just let know the community the aim of this choice. I won’t subscribe to this, in this actual state, and I guess not so many will.
    I’m looking towards receiving this via the “regular” Mozilla channels.

Regards

2. Cédric Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Hi,
    I’m looking towards receiving this via the “regular” Mozilla channels.

Regards

3. mmc Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 6:34 pm

The name is ok, but after being asked not to use any mozilla, *zilla, moz* in the suggestions, I find it quite disappointing. Moreover, it’s somewhat a geeky name without a space between “about:” and “mozilla”. I know that it refers to the about: fields you can put in the search bar, but that only adds to its geekiness. But good luck anyway!

Ps: if Graydon doesn’t want a prize t-shirt, can I have it? :)

4. mmc Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 6:34 pm

Ps: if Graydon doesn’t want a prize t-shirt, can I have it? :)

5. Justin Watt Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 8:07 pm

I was about to subscribe, and then I was like, umm, I don’t want to receive this in my email inbox. I want to get this in my feedreader. I want this to be a blog, so I can link back to entries.

6. Justin Watt Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 8:07 pm

7. Ken Saunders Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 9:43 pm

I’ve been waiting for something like this for a few years. The World of Mozilla is quite large and expanding quickly and it can be tough to keep up on all that is going on.

8. Ken Saunders Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 9:43 pm

9. Sandy Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Sounds neat. I agree with Justin that it should be available as a blog feed or something. Maybe I’ll get it automatically through mozillaZine feedHouse?

10. Sandy Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 10:05 pm

11. Mike Shaver Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Cédric: it’s not clear from your comment what the specific problem is with Mailchimp, so it’s quite difficult to act on it. Deb outlined in her previous post[*] why we are using Mailchimp, and specifically asked for feedback, so it’s unfortunate that you didn’t offer your detailed reasoning in response to that. Just as we have the Mozilla Store operated for us by another company, we believe that we can deliver a better newsletter if we don’t have to build all the CAN-SPAM compliance, HTML-mail compatibility and other expertise ourselves; if there are specific problems with Mailchimp, though, we’d certainly like to hear them. If they aren’t suitable for posting publicly, please send them to deb (at) mozilla (dot) com.

Thanks!

[*] http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2007/11/…

12. Mike Shaver Says:
    November 20th, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Thanks!

[*] http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2007/11/08/598/

13. Mike Shaver Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 12:48 am

I believe that Deb’ll also be syndicating the content via an RSS feed, possibly devnews. Might not happen in time for the first issue, though, but rest assured that she loves a good RSS feed at _least_ as much as anyone else.

14. Mike Shaver Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 12:48 am

15. Alex Vincent Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 1:45 am

Surely, a happening of “biblical” proportions. Fire and thunder…

16. Alex Vincent Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 1:45 am

Surely, a happening of “biblical” proportions. Fire and thunder…

17. Thiago Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 7:15 am

Hello,

I liked this idea. Have already signed up.

Cheers!

18. Thiago Says:
    November 21st, 2007 at 7:15 am

Hello,

I liked this idea. Have already signed up.

Cheers!

19. Gerv Says:
    November 23rd, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Looks good. I second the request for an Atom feed.

I hope we are going to do DNS aliasing or whatever so the messages don’t come from e.g. mozilla.mailchimp.com. We’re trying to teach people _not_ to trust that sort of thing for phishing reasons (think citibank.p0wn3d.com).

Gerv

20. Gerv Says:
    November 23rd, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Looks good. I second the request for an Atom feed.

Gerv