1) Homemade curry powder. Recipe stolen shamelessly from A New Way to Cook, my new favourite cookbook (recommended by the ever-wise Shona).
2) Beef curry made with said curry powder (with 1/2 tsp cayenne for a bit of heat) served with toasted organic brown short grain rice. Mmf.
3) Organic green beans topped with butter-toasted almost-burnt almond slivers (recipe, what it is, below).
I invented these when I was trying to figure out something yummy to put on random greens or mix with rice:
Butter-toasted almost-burnt almond slivers
- 1/4c sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 tsp unsalted butter (there’s irony here)
- A quick grating of sea salt
Procedure: melt butter over med-low heat in a small non-stick pan. Add almonds and stir until just getting on the verge of being too brown. Add a quick grating of sea salt (really, not much). Stir a few more times, add to whatever.
Also tasty: Rosenblum Cellars 2005 California Zinfandel. Just under $20/bottle at the LCBO and worth every penny.