The initial XUL Reference migration has been completed. We do need some help in improving this reference in several ways:
- More examples
- Screenshots of the various widgets (ideally taken in Windows or Mac)
- More cross-linking within the reference and between the reference and the XUL Tutorial
- Links out to the LXR source where appropriate
- Improved and expanded text for any page within the reference
Sheppy will also be working on copy-editing and other improvements when he has time.
Discussion about replacing “Talk” pages
At the Mozilla all-hands meeting it was suggested that we begin exploring possible replacements for the Wiki “Talk” pages, as the existing pages are poorly suited to actual discussion as they lack threading, structure, editorial control, and any sort of guaranteed permanence. After a long discussion Brion Vibber let us know that the Mediawiki group had a Summer of Code project underway that sounds like it will do exactly what we need. You can read more about the LiquidThreads project on the Wikimedia Meta-wiki.
Suggested new feedback system
Another suggestion from the all-hands meeting is that MDC create a system that would allow users to quickly and easily send feedback from any given page of the MDC site without having to deal with Talk pages, registering on the wiki, or looking up email/list addresses. The system we’re currently planning to implement is simply a new, open mailing list with a mailto: link on each page of the wiki (either in the footer or sidebar).
Content additions and improvements
- Mscott has added a new article about Thunderbird ISP hooks
- Wtchang has started an NSS reference, and is looking for help doing some migration work
- Jabez and Nickolay have been working diligently to improve our Gecko DOM Reference
- XUL Reference
As always, the localization teams have been doing a fantastic job, with recent significant activity on the Italian, Spanish, French, Japanese, Polish, and Portuguese wikis.
If you have any questions about anything here or anything else related to the MDC, please ask on the MDC discussion list, the #devmo channel on irc.mozilla.org, or mail me directly (deb-at-mozilla-dot-com).