Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman

Movies 17 Comments

We’ve been watching the Zatoichi movies lately (we’ve watched the first three now), and they’re awesome.

17 Responses to “Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman”

1. bodensatz Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 9:36 am

Wow, I just watched Daredevil last night and can’t help but wonder whether he’s based on this guy! Is this rental? Or on TV? I’d love to see these movies!

2. bodensatz Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 9:36 am

3. boolean Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 11:48 am

there’s a boxed set of the entire series of 26 movies spanning 1967-2003:

There are also 3 seasons of Zatoichi television shows. I haven’t watched any of the tv shows yet, but the movies are fantastic and highly-recommended.

Not that big a leap to imagine Daredevil was somewhat inspired by ‘Ichi.

4. boolean Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 11:48 am

there’s a boxed set of the entire series of 26 movies spanning 1967-2003:

Not that big a leap to imagine Daredevil was somewhat inspired by ‘Ichi.

5. boolean Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 11:53 am

correction. that’s not the full set of movies…

6. boolean Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 11:53 am

correction. that’s not the full set of movies…

7. bodensatz Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Oh the dilemma! Spend my next google ads cheque on this, or on a new 85L electric brew kettle?

I notice this is dubbed in english, which is great. I borrowed The 7th Samurai from my Sensei and while it was a great movie, I really get distracted by subtitles. If I were to buy it I’d get a dubbed version if available.

Blind vigilante swordsman! Woo-hoo!

8. bodensatz Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Blind vigilante swordsman! Woo-hoo!

9. bodensatz Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 4:39 pm

| sed s/The 7th/7/

10. bodensatz Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 4:39 pm

| sed s/The 7th/7/

11. boolean Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 5:19 pm

The Seven Samurai is a great movie. Check out some of Kurosawa’s other flicks from the same period for more great samurai action (Yojimbo and Sanjuro are both really excellent). Toshiro Mifune’s The Man.

Personally, I prefer the subtitles and have been watching the Zatoichi flicks with them in Japanese. I actually find the dubs more distracting because of the lip-synching and mismatched voices.

12. boolean Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 5:19 pm

13. bodensatz Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 6:23 pm

I really like subtitles when it’s noisy in the room (kids :-)) or the audio is low/poor, or it’s in a foreign language that I do understand because there will invariably be bits and pieces I won’t. But that’s always as a secondary to the audio. I really don’t like having to chase them as my primary means of following the dialogue. But it’s good to have the option so everyone gets to pick the way they like best :-)

14. bodensatz Says:
    February 26th, 2006 at 6:23 pm

15. Kazzx Says:
    April 15th, 2006 at 11:26 pm

happened to see a couple of these running on IFC so i recorded em, great movies, great character. thanks for making me aware of them :D

16. Kazzx Says:
    April 16th, 2006 at 12:26 am

17. willymac Says:
    June 24th, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Yo…what I got to do to ged ZI complete dvd collection.
    have been lookin 4 last 40 min. can U help?