Analogging it

General 8 Comments

I’m going analog. No more PDAs for me, thanks. I’m back to using notebooks. Here’s a picture of my current personal productivity system:

What you see here are two notebooks, one 8 1/2″ x 6″, the other 4″ x 6″. Beside those are two small stacks of 3″ x 5″ index cards bound with bulldog clips. (The green index card in the back is my shopping list.) Topping it off is my brand new Space Pen.

So far it’s working very well. The trick is carrying around a stack of blank index cards and the Space Pen all the time so when I think of something I actually write it down instead of pretending that I’ll remember it 10 mins later. It’s like having a TODO list that I actually remember to add to and look at. How handy!

Here’s the breakdown:

• Blank index cards: this is a stack of 20 index cards, 5 each yellow, blue, green, and white. Yellow = Work, Green = Home, Blue = Personal, White = Writing Ideas. This is the stack I carry around.
  • Not-blank index cards: this stack actually contains 2 weekly planner cards, 1 2005/2006 calendar card, 1 shopping list, 1 TODO list (for the day), and a stack of cards detailing the stuff I want to get done. This is the stack that sits on my desk and reminds me what I need to get done.
  • Small Notebook: work-related stuff — meeting notes, etc.
  • Large Notebook: personal stuff, mostly exploring writing ideas, and other such things.
  • Space Pen: When closed it’s about 4″ long and has no pointy bits. When open with the cap on the back, it’s a proper pen-sized pen. Small with no pointy bits means you can actually carry it around in your pocket without getting poked. Pen-sized when open means less writer’s cramp. The “space” part of the space pen is semi-solid ink and nitrogen-gas pressurized ink flow, so no leaking and no relying on gravity. For $25, it’s quite an awesome pen.

There you have it. I’ve joined the Hipster PDA revolution. Or, actually, just reverted to the system I used throughout all of highschool and university. Whichever. Space Pen!

8 Responses to “Analogging it”

1. beltzner Says:
    July 19th, 2005 at 4:30 pm

I cannot stand PDAs because I hate bulgy pockets. I have a form-factor fetish. I refuse to buy a new cellphone because the only one with a form factor I like (the Motorola RAZR) costs too much to be reasonably expended on a thing that I usually forget to take with me. I don’t own a digital camera because I know I’d never take it anywhere, unless it was an Optio S. For this reason, I’ve never used my Palm III that I got so long ago, nor wanted any other PDA that’s on the market.

As such, I, too, started using notebooks. Nothing quite as elaborate as you point out, and alas, no space pen!, but I find that scribbling is helpful and ends up letting me take more flexible notes.

Damned things still don’t fit well in the pockets, though.

2. MrCrankyPants Says:
    July 19th, 2005 at 5:09 pm

Bought one of these to replace my father in law’s rather decrepit one. Picked one up for myself at the same time. I’d even order you one but you live in some crazy foreign country.

3. dria Says:
    July 19th, 2005 at 5:19 pm

Cranky: yah, I’ve seen those. They look pretty sweet, but the 20-stack of index cards is about as bulky as I want to get. Now, if I upgrade the system with a cute little leather shoulder bag, then one of those would be perfect :)

4. beltzner Says:
    July 19th, 2005 at 4:30 pm

Damned things still don’t fit well in the pockets, though.

5. MrCrankyPants Says:
    July 19th, 2005 at 5:09 pm

6. dria Says:
    July 19th, 2005 at 5:19 pm

7. Tok Says:
    July 21st, 2005 at 6:09 pm

Hey Dria, love the space pen. I carry one everywhere I go, silver though, and it telescopes instead of having a cap. Love my space pen!

8. Tok Says: